McKinney-Vento Homeless Ed Assistance Act Fed Grant Program

Ardmore City Schools
District Homeless Liaison:
Sabra Emde (580) 221-3001, ext 252   Room 216, Administration Offices,
800 M Street NE, Ardmore, OK 73401
State Homeless Coordinator:
Debbie Pham or Stacy Henson, Oklahoma State Department of Education  (405) 521-2846   
National Center for Homeless Education:

Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness Have the Right to a Free, Appropriate Public Education
Ardmore City Schools is proud to offer the grant-funded McKinney-Vento (MV) program and services to its eligible students.  The MV program provides much needed support and resources to over 300 students attending Ardmore Schools.  Below are some frequently asked questions regarding the program and information about who is eligible and how the ACS MV program may be of assistance.
Q & A
Q.  Who is homeless?
A.  Anyone who, due to a lack of housing, lives:
- In a shelter
- In a motel/hotel
- In a vehicle
- In a campground
- On the street
- Doubled-up with relatives or friends due to loss of housing, economic hardship or a similar reason
Q.  Where can homeless children and youth attend school? 
A.  Homeless children and youth can choose to attend either of the following:
- The school of origin:  the school that the child or youth attended when permanently housed or the school in which the child or youth was last enrolled
- The local attendance area school:  any public school that non-homeless students who live in the attendance area in which the child or youth is actually living are eligible to attend
(In determining which school the child will attend the focus is placed on what is in the best interest of the child.)
Q.  Can students experiencing homelessness be denied enrollment for lacking paperwork that is normally required for enrollment?
A.  No.  Under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, children and youth experiecing homelessness have the right to immediate enrollment, even if lacking paperwork normally required for enrollment, such as:
- Birth certificate
- Immunization or other health/medical records
- Previous academic records
- Proof of residency
- Proof of guardianship
* (The District Homeless Liaison may assist in obtaining these documents for the student's school record.  However, enrollment and full participation in school will continue uninterrupted.)

* Preschool-aged and school-aged children experiencing homelessness have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.  To find out more contact the Ardmore City Schools District Homeless Liaison, Sabra Emde, at 580-221-3001, ext 252 or email her at  
* What You Need to Know to Help Your Child in School (A Guide for Parents, Guardians, and Caregivers of Children Experiencing Homelessness)  ...  parentbrochure_eng.pdf   parentbrochure_sp.pdf

If your family lives in any of the above-mentioned situations, you should do the following:
- Contact the District Homeless Liaison for help in enrolling your child in a new school or arranging for your child to continue in his/her former school.  (Or, someone at a shelter, social services office or the school can direct you to the person you need to contact.)
- Contact the school and provide any information you think will assist the teachers in helping your child adjust to new circumstances.
- Ask the District Homeless Liaison, school secretary, shelter provider, or a social worker for assistance with clothing and school supplies, if needed.

Note:  The Ardmore City Schools McKinney-Vento Student Services program provides support, services, resources and referral for assistance to those students who qualify.  For more information, please contact the District Homeless Liaison or click one of these links for specific agencies and organizations who may be able to assist:    Ardmore_Area_Resource_Manual.pdf  Comm_Info_Directory.pdf

Additional Information regarding the McKinney-Vento Act and the Student Services Program at Ardmore City Schools:  FAQ

Ardmore City Schools Homeless Liaison:

Sabra Emde

580-221-3001, ext 252

Oklahoma State Department of Education-State Homeless Coordinator:

Debbie Pham or Stacy Henson



  • Forms and Documents for the Enrollment & Advocacy of McKinney Vento Students:

Student Enrollment Questionnaire

MV Program Student Evaluation Form

MV Caregiver Form (for students enrolling who do not live with parent/court ordered guardian)

Parents Facing Incarceration Documents

Consent for Medical Care of Oklahoma Unaccompanied Youth

  • Staff Awareness Training Materials, Articles and Briefs

McKinney-Vento Staff Awareness Slide Show

McKinney-Vento Overview Handout

Intro to MV Article 

Identification of MV Homeless Youth 

Enrollment of MV Homeless Youth 

Placement of MV Students without School Records

MV Unaccompanied Youth Basic School Services 

MV Unaccompanied Youth Protocol & Checklist for School Counselors

  • Resource/Assistance Information for Families/Students in Transition

SNAP/SoonerCare/TANF Application


Link to apply for SNAP and/or Soonercare online